Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Welcome To Juneuary

Juneuary. That's what the folks around here are calling this month. I think its pretty much right on point considering the fact that we had Winter type weather warnings with a 2500 foot snow level yesterday, and 40 mph winds with rain and hail. Hey, no more talk about global warning for a few days!

My friend and fellow blogger/podcaster Dave Mangano was in town this past weekend to visit with his mother, and took some time to hang out with Geezer JayBee and myself. It was a pleasure to shoot the breeze with Dave and get caught up on what's going on in his neck of the woods back in Richmond Virgina. This is the best scootering time of the year where he lives, and we are apparently still struggling to break free of Old Man Winter's grip over here.

Dave took some photos of our scoots parked in his mom's driveway, and I think he took a shine to my "rat rod" influenced Vespa. I've yet to square my camera situation away, and who knows, maybe he will share a photo over on his blogsite. He can be found on my blogroll, or by tapping into www.sctrcst.com

This was the first time that JayBee had seen my scooter in its new get-up, and admitted that the Vespa now has my character. He said that he didn't want to insult me by saying he "didn't like the color" when my 125GT was painted blue, so now that it wears red oxide primer and pin-stripes, he says that he really digs it. Who knows, maybe we can follow the same route with his P200E, and get a cool look going with it too. I have even drawn up a paint scheme incorporating the use of both gray and white primers, topped with some red pin-stripes. If he's into it, I'm all over it. Just think of my approach to what I want a scooter to look like as a mix of traditional Vespa styling, topped with some hardcore kustom kulture rat rod flavoring. I guess my leaning is more toward the Ed Roth, Robert Williams school of kool design.

More to come later on these boss projects...photos too! (Maybe)

Have fun,
Bill

10 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

I try to not complain about the weather but I've gotten sick and tired of it.

At least camping is better now that I have the little pickup camper and I'm more comfortable even if it is raining.

I used to do a lot of camping on scooters and cycles but at my age I want more comfort. Hell, I need a little trailer to pack all the extra stuff.

6:55 PM  
Blogger irondad said...

So let me evaluate my understanding, here. Your "style" is to take something that's sleek and polished then make it look sort of "down on its luck"? Remind me to never let you "borrow" one of my rides! :)

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Juneuary. Gotta love that word!

Riding is wonderful in Texas this time of the year if you can stand 90+degree weather.

Thanks for reminding me to check on my folks who recently begun their retirement in Seattle.

--Lorenzo

4:28 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Billy B.
I gotta get out and camp soon. Be it on my scoot, or in the family truckster. I'm thinking maybe a trip out to Kalaloch next month, or even just Salt Creek. I'm ready.

Irondad,
Yeah, the "down on its luck" look. I like that. If something doesn't look right, Krylon will fix it.

Did you say "borrow one of your rides?" Woo hoo!!

scgt,
Texas? Wow, I love that state. I wish I had the time and means to just putt around for awhile on that big old patch of ground.

My company used to send me to Dallas every year, and I would split and explore the metroplex area, and dink around Plano. Someday.

Always check in on your folks.

Have fun,
Bill

4:50 PM  
Blogger Heinz N Frenchie said...

If you can stand 90 degrees, sun on your head, heat rising from the pavement, and crazy drivers, you can come on down to South Florida. We want to see your ride, so show some pics.

3:36 PM  
Blogger DaveM said...

Returned to Richmond and 100+ degree weather, a little too much for a country boy from Washington.
Thanks again for the visit, love the ride.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Mod Kevin said...

I saw the picture of the Rat Rod Scoot. Looks pretty damn cool! I had really been wondering what it looked since we haven't ridden in a while.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Bill Sommers said...

Heinz and Frenchie,
Man, I would love to hang out and ride in steamy Florida. That would be sweet. As soon as I quit fighting the camera battle, I'll post a pic or two.

Dave M.
Thanks. It was cool spending a few good moments with you. I hope to keep in touch as often as we can. We need to ride together, either here or there. We'll figure it out I'm sure.

Mod Kevin,
Yeah, my scoot is cool.
Although "we" haven't ridden lately, I have been racking up the miles on both scoots.

5:03 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Hey, do a new post, Billy.

I'm leaving in the morning, I was given a tent trailer and stripped it down to store and haul all my camping and boating gear in.

I'm heading out on a working/camping trip.

6:15 PM  
Blogger American Scooterist Blog said...

We here in the upper midwest just got schmucked with another couple inches of rain in the last day. In other words, look out down river, gang (yikes). I live about amile and a half off the Mississippi and a year ago you could walk across it up here. Not so this year.

When it gets hot up here we get lots of wet. Conversely when it gets colder up here things dry out. Central Minnesota is not as bad as most people think. Its really a dry cold.

Rat bikes. Man I need to get the old stroker together.

Harv

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counter